Course Provided by: Becker Professional Education
IMA Competency: Negotiation, Collaboration, Teamwork, and Relationship Management, Communication Skills
Advanced Preparation Required: None
Course Level: Basic
Course Prerequisites: None
Tim Gearty is the National Director and Editor-in-Chief for the world’s largest CPA training program, Becker CPA Review. In addition to his editorial leadership, Tim is also Becker's National Lead Instructor, whose taped lectures are seen in over 325 locations throughout the world. Tim is a nationally recognized expert and speaker on a variety of accounting and tax topics, and has appeared as keynote speaker for several Fortune 100 companies as well as many national associations. He has frequently been called upon over the past twenty years to present accounting and tax topics to large groups, organizations, and corporations, accounting firms and in legal proceedings. Tim is a partner in Gearty & McIntyre, LLP, CPA, a firm which has developed a reputation as a specialist in business advisory services, litigation support and forensic accounting. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the New Jersey Society of Public Accountants as well as a trustee of that organization. He holds a BS in Accounting from Fairleigh Dickinson University, and both a MBA in Finance and Law Degree (JD) from Seton Hall University. Tim is a member of the New Jersey and American Bar Associations.
This course will be an overview of:
- The definition of negotiations, especially in the context of accounting situations.
- The basics of negotiation skills, including the stages of successful negotiations and the interpersonal skills required to complete negotiations.
- Methods for overcoming objections, counteracting negativity, and reaching consensus during negotiations.
This course is ideal for anyone who is interested to learn the basics of negotiation skills.
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Define the art of negotiations, especially in the context of common accounting situations.
- Identify the steps in the negotiation process and apply them to business situations.
- Identify the interpersonal skills needed for successful negotiations.
- Recognize how competitiveness can hurt negotiations.
- Name situations that can derail successful negotiations, and methods for counteracting such situations.