8 months (FT); 12 months (PT)
The main aim of the Diploma in Law is to give students the legal knowledge and practical insight into the workings of the legal industry. In particular, students will get an insight into the workings of law firms and the role that they can play in law firms across Singapore. Holders of the Diploma will be able to demonstrate detailed knowledge and critical understanding of the major theories and concepts in law.
The Diploma in Law aims to:
- Develop students’ competence and practical skills in law
- To lay the foundation for future pathway and continuing professional development.
- To provide students with the relevant knowledge and understanding of law as it relates to the wider business context.
- The knowledge and skills that will enable them to follow a career in all areas of law and a wide range of careers in business, human resources and administration.
Delivery: Part time , 3-hr lessons 2 or 3 nights a week for a period of 12 months.
- Minimum Age: At least 18 years old
- Minimum Academic Entry Requirement
- Two passes in GCE A Level Examinations; or
- Completion of equivalent High School qualification (12 years); or
- Pass in appropriate Foundation / Certificate programme; or
- Other similar qualifications; or
- Mature Entry Route (MER) Minimum age of 21 plus work experience (2 years min) will be assessed on a case-by-case basis
- Introduction, Legal Writing & Research: This module aims to develop students’ knowledge and understanding of the practice of law. Specifically the module aims to provide students with an understanding of legal reasoning as applied to issues in professional practice and business.
- Company and Commercial Law: The primary aim is to extend students’ understanding of the working of law in a business environment. While this will include teaching students the legal theories, this module will also familiarise students with practical application of law in a business environment.
- Contract Law: The primary aim is to give students a working understanding of how contracts work. From identifying the elements of every contract to understanding how contracts come to an end, whether by breach, discharge or frustration to understanding the manner in which contracts will come to an end and the consequences of such termination.
- Tort Law: The primary aim is to extend students’ understanding of tort law; the situation where the relationship between parties is not governed by an agreement or a contract. Students will have to familiarise themselves with the legal theories behind tort law and also understand the practical application of tort law in a business environment.
- Dispute Resolution: The primary aim of this module is to educate students’ understanding of how disputes in Singapore are resolved through litigation, mediation and arbitration. While this will include teaching students the legal theories, this module will also familiarise students with practical application of dispute resolution in a business environment.
- Intellectual Property Law: This module will focus on having students appreciate the importance and influence of Intellectual Property in our society and how the Law protects such Intellectual Property.
- Family Law: This module will focus on having students appreciate the importance of family law in the general practice of any law firm. Students will learn how to advise clients who are seeking guidance in family law.
- Employment Law: The primary aim of this module is to impart to students an understanding of the law of employment and its application in a business environment. While this will include teaching students the legal theories, this module will also familiarise students with practical application of employment law in a business environment.
This course is designed for students who are seeking to work in the legal industry or in occupations where a practical knowledge of the legal industry will be of utility. It acts as a standalone qualification for students.
On successful completion of this programme, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate relevant legal knowledge and understanding of the basic principles of law which will equip them with an awareness of the operation of law in all aspects of their lives
- Demonstrate proficiency in identifying legal issues and know how to use the their knowledge and analytical skills effectively across a range of problems